ATAGI has expanded the recommendations on winter COVID-19 booster doses for people at increased risk of severe COVID-19. See statement
Fourth dose of COVID-19 vaccine Pfizer are available now for :
- Adults aged 65 years and over
- Residents 16 years and older of aged care or disability care facilities
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander adults aged 50 years and older
Additional groups recommended (from 25 May 2022)
People aged 16-64 years who have complex, chronic or severe conditions that are considered to increase their risk of severe illness from COVID-19 such as:
- Chronic inflammatory conditions requiring medical treatment with disease modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs) or immunesuppressive or immunomodulatory therapies.
- Chronic lung disease
- Chronic liver disease
- Severe chronic kidney disease (stage 4 or 5)
- Chronic neurological disease
- Diabetes mellitus requiring medication
- Chronic cardiac disease
- Severe obesity with BMI ≥ 40 kg/m2
- Severe underweight with BMI < 16.5 kg/m2
The following groups are currently not yet recommended to receive an additional winter booster dose:
• Healthy people aged 16 to 64 years of age who do not have any risk factors for severe COVID-19
• Women who are pregnant without any other comorbidity that increases their risk of severe COVID-19
• People from occupational groups, such as healthcare workers, who do not have any other comorbidity that increases their risk of severe COVID-19.
If you do meet the criteria for a winter dose of COVID-19 vaccine:
- These appointments can be booked online via our website under the 'Booster dose' appointment type.
- The interval is 4 months after your 3rd dose. Please ensure you only book if you are eligible.