With the flu season fast approaching it is important to get vaccinated against Influenza. The flu season generally peaks between April to October so it's essential to get vaccinated prior to this to ensure have the best protection.
There are 4 appointment types in which you can book:
- 6 months- under 5 years old
- 5 years- 64 years- GOVT Funded
- 5 years - 64 years- PRIVATE
- 65 years and over
What makes you eligible for a Govt funded Influenza vaccine?
Criteria patients must meet in order to receive the 5 to 64 yr GOVT funded fluvax:
- Pregnant (any state of pregnancy)
- Children aged 6 months to 10 years on long term aspirin therapy
Have any of the following conditions:
- cardiac disease, including cyanotic congenital heart disease, coronary artery disease and congestive heart failure
- chronic respiratory conditions, including suppurative lung disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), severe asthma (for which frequent medical consultations or the use of multiple medications is required), cystic fibrosis, bronchiectasis and chronic emphysema.
- chronic neurological conditions, including hereditary and degenerative central nervous system (CNS) diseases (including multiple sclerosis), neuromuscular disorders, spinal cord injuries and seizure disorders
- immunocompromising conditions, including immunocompromised due to disease or treatment (e.g. malignancy, transplantation and/or chronic steroid use), asplenia or splenic dysfunction and HIV infection
- diabetes and other metabolic disorders, including Type 1 diabetes, Type 2 diabetes and chronic metabolic disorders
- chronic renal failure
The above criteria is outlined by the government and we must abide by this. Please see further information regarding eligibility for a government funded vaccine here
If you do not meet the above criteria, please book under the appointment type Influenza Vaccine 5 - 64yo PRIVATE. There will be a fee of $20 per vaccine which is due on the day of consultation.
What are the strains within the 2023 Influenza vaccine?
- an A/Sydney/5/2021 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus – new strain for 2023.
- an A/Darwin/9/2021 (H3N2)-like virus;
- a B/Austria/1359417/2021 (B/Victoria lineage)-like virus; and
- a B/Phuket/3073/2013 (B/Yamagata lineage)-like virus
If you are having difficulty booking online please call our reception team on 02 9087 4600 to assist.
This is a fast paced clinic so if you have any questions regarding the vaccine or if it's appropriate for you please book a consultation with your regular GP to discuss prior to the appointment.